"What? Over? Did you say over? Nothing is over until we decide it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No! And it ain't over now. Cuz when the going gets tough, the tough get goin! Who's with me? Let's Go! Come on!"
(John 'Bluto' Blutarsky, via Animal House, 7/28/1978)
"I know that this team is better than what a lot of people think, and we're going to make it better."
(Manny Acta, via Washington Post, 4/2/2007)
NAAAtionals Opening Day 2007: Play ball!*
Hope springs eternal for the NAAAts: Just don't mention the '62 Mets or '03 Tigers (at least for the first month), ok?
Repeat after me: They won't be that bad. They won't be that bad. They won't be that bad. They won't be that bad. They won't be that bad. They won't be that bad. They won't be that bad. They won't be that bad. They won't be that bad...
- Thom Loverro on Manny's first day jitters.
- Wash Post Nats Notebook: Manny's got butterflies; Don't call John P. "Ace", ok? Etc.
- Boswell on the O's & Nats: "At least the Nats have an excuse."
- Dontrelle Willis on the Nats: "They are going to be tough, man. I'm hearing they are going to lose 100 games. I don't think they are going to do that."
- Interesting history lesson on Presidential First Pitches in Washington.
- Mets win opener. Nationals assume the position in NL East basement.
(*Because you have to play the games. You can't simply punt an entire season, right?)