"We almost have our minds made up. We haven't made the final decision yet, but I don't think a good or bad start is going to change our mind...Our decision is almost made."
(Manny Acta, via Washington Post, 3/22/2008)
Starting 5: Odalis Perez. Tim Redding. Jason Bergmann. Matt Chico. And TBD?
We say: TBD will be Lannan (pitching today); no way Hill is ready in time (is he even healthy?). On Hill, from Nationals Journal this morning:
Shawn Hill threw a bullpen yesterday, reported some slight soreness in his elbow afterwards, but is still on track to throw two innings in a minor league game on Monday, in hopes of getting himself ready to pitch for the Nationals on April 13
- O'Connor and Whitney both get cut. Mark Zuckerman takes a crack at projecting the final 25.
- A few weeks ago, Home Run Derby predicted the 2008 Nats would be the worst team in baseball -- and that was WITH John Patterson in the starting rotation. So does his departure give their prediction even more ammo? I still think they've upgraded, IF...
- Zuckerman: it'll be Hudson vs. Someone Opening Night (still looking like it'll be Odalis by default)
- OMG's take on JP's release is worth a read (comments, too)...
- The Felipe Lopez Watch continues: Play, Trade, Release, or Bench him? Will FelipE be a Cubbie?
(AP Photo/Orlin Wagner)