"Those are the little touches that, when you put them together, make the difference between a regular ballpark and a great ballpark. That comes from our mall background. We're always reviewing plans for stores. Everything that went into the stadium we reviewed so it fit the image we want.[So we have decided to turn Nationals Park into a Mall, and play baseball at RFK.]"
(Mark Lerner, via Washington Post, 3/28/2008)
"It's going to spunk us up [to play at RFK]."
(Lastings Milledge, via WTOP.com, 3/28/2008)
In stunning last minute decision by the Lerner family, with the blessing of the District, Nationals Park will be converted into a shopping mall, and the Nationals will continue to play baseball at RFK Stadium "for the foreseeable future". Stan Kasten unavailable for comment.
- More of the same from Lannan; he's just waiting in the wings for the inevitable news on Hill. See you in a week, John.
- Bloggers with access! Nats320 on the Ballpark Concessions Tour beat. JANF with one of those video thingies.
- Capitol Punishment on the LoDuca/Bush controversy that almost was. At least now it'll be clear who's getting booed.
- The Dan Steinberg DC Sportsbog Machine was all over the Nats yesterday, first dredging up the old Odalis Perez/Paul The Pusher feud (how is this only seeing the light of day now!?), then reporting on beer prices (high) and selection (ok if you don't buy Local), and finally, walking among the media horde at the Nats Park Free Food Tour.
- Dukes in court; charges dropped.