"The people who hired me here, they know what they hired me to do. And if in three years they're going to judge me over six, seven, eight games or whatever, that's up to them. I really don't worry about that, because I'm going to get a job if it's not here." (Manny Acta, via Nationals Journal, 4/14/2009)
Dead Manny Walking?
You wouldn't be worried either, if you knew the Wilpons had a job waiting for you in NY next year.
Over on his MASN blog, Manny offers up 6 reasons why Nationals fans should be feeling upbeat about 2009:
We are staying positive though, since we are glass-half-full-type of people in Natstown, and I'll give you some of my reasons:
- We had our best spring training since '04
- We have 155 games to play.
- We loaded the bases four times in one game--last year we used to do it once a week.
- We are going to score some runs this year.
- Our young pitching has started shaky, but they will get better. Remember how our rotation started in 07' ?... Well these kids are more talented.
- Our defense will also improve.
Thanks, Manny. Now that glass is looking even more half-empty than before. That was supposed to make us feel better?