"We definitely want them to succeed. We're partners in the MASN baseball network, and we have an excellent relationship with the Lerner family and with Stan Kasten, who is an old friend of mine..."
(Peter Angelos, via Baltimore Sun, 4/10/2008)
Of course, Peter Angelos still wants "them" to succeed! He pretty much owns 'em; that is, he owns the majority of the eyeballs watching on TV.
Let's let Adam Kilgore's Nationals Journal post serve as a reminder of how Bud Selig and his buddy Peter Angelos screwed the Nats on the TV deal in the DMV back in the day:
The Nationals’ television deal with MASN and the Orioles has been an intriguing subject since the franchise relocated from Montreal in 2005.
To convince Angelos to allow the franchise to infringe on what he deemed his territorial rights, MLB gave Angelos 90 percent of MASN. The Nationals held the other 10 percent, which grows at about one percent per year and now sits at 13 percent. Once the Nationals reach 33 percent ownership of MASN, their ownership stake stops growing.
(via Nationals Journal, 10/10/2011)
And so the Nats have reportedly hired a hotshot media consultant to fix things. Meanwhile, the Nats TV audience for 2011 was smallest in MLB (29,000); Orioles beat 'em out by ~2,000 viewers on average (31,000)...